America's Greatest Quotes in the Movies
100 Greatest Movie Quotes
The American Film Institute (AFI) in Los Angeles, California conducted their eighth polling, 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes highlighting "America's Greatest Quotes in the Movies." AFI’s 100 Years…100 Movie Quotes revealed the 100 greatest movie quotes in American films, as chosen by leaders of the entertainment community, in a three-hour television event, that aired on the CBS Television Network in June 2005. A ballot was distributed in 2004 with 400 Nominated Quotes from Films to a jury of 1,500 leaders from the film community, including filmmakers, actors, historians, scholars, journalists and industry types. Voters could submit up to five write-in choices not included among the 400 nominees.
Judging Criteria for Selection of 100 Greatest Movie Quotes (and Top 10):
Top 10 Film Quotes Sections
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4
Return to Entire Quotes Index
From the Top 100
(According to American Film Institute (AFI))
Top 10 Greatest American Movie Quotes: These are the top 10 Greatest American Movie Quotes, revealed in AFI's 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes in mid-2005, from a winning list of 100 quotes. Eligible feature-length American films had to have been released before January 1, 2004. See more details about the 100 Greatest Film Quotes further below.
2. "I'm gonna make
him an offer he can't refuse."
3. "You don't understand! I could've had class. I could've been a contender.
I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."
4. "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas
5. "Here's looking at you, kid."
6. "Go ahead, make my day."
7. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my closeup."
8. "May the Force be with you."
9. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
10. "You talkin' to me?"
See # 11-20 below
Additional Facts (and Commentary) about the 100 Greatest Movie Quotes Chosen:
Casablanca (1942) had the most quotes (6) in the top 100:
The earliest film quote in the top 100 was from The Jazz Singer (1927):
The most recent quote in the top 100 was from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002):
The most recent quote in the top 10 was from Sudden Impact (1983):
Many actors have spoken the familiar introductory line in numerous official James Bond films:
Only one of the 100 quotes (# 79) was actually a two-line conversation between two different actors:
The four briefest quotes (of only one word, or a repeated single word) were the following:
Eleven quotes from ten films released since 1990 made the top 100 list:
Humphrey Bogart had the most quotes (5) on the top 100 list, four from Casablanca (1942):
Three actors had 3 quotes in the top 100 list:
Two actresses had 3 quotes in the top 100 list:
The second Top 10 Greatest American Movie Quotes (# 11-20) were the following:
One of the most popular quotes of all-time only made # 33:
Three quotes were incorrectly cited by AFI:
Many critics commented that four real-life quotes shouldn't have been counted:
Silent films were ignored, although there could be
some inter-titles that were worthy of choice.
- Greatest Films, Greatest QuotesA major compilation of memorable movie quotes (with audio clips) from major movies.
- Common Movie Misquotes"Me Tarzan, you Jane." Nope. "You dirty rat!" Wrong again. Find out what the real quote is.
- Great Opening LinesThe very first words often define the movie. Here are some that did so memorably.
- Great Last LinesThe last thing you hear can make or break a film. Don't believe us? Here's proof!
- Supervillain ThreatsHalf of a bad guy's appeal is the way he verbally taunts the good guy.
- '80s Movie Quotes QuizThe rad decade has plenty of catchphrases and quips. Bueller? Bueller?
- Hilarious Quotes in the Movies QuizSometimes the funniest lines are the inappropriate ones. But who said what?
- The Mafia Movie Quotes QuizSometimes words cut as well as guns in The Godfather, Donnie Brasco, and Carlito's Way.
- Your Favorite Movie QuoteWant to share your favorite movie quote of all time? Now's your chance!