(According to The Guinness Book of Film)
Top 10 Most Famous Movie Quotes: These are the ten most recognizable film quotes according to a 1998 survey of a group of "10 film critics and experts" who were asked by Guinness to draw up a list of the "ten most famous movie quotes ever." According to the publication's editors, "We were looking for quotations that were accessible and that had popular appeal on a global scale. We were also looking for wit and delivery. Delivery is important." The films chosen ranged from 1930 to 1994, and six of the 10 were from the 1930s and '40s.
See also the Top 10 Best Movie Lines Ever according to Odeon Cinemas (UK) in 2003, with some duplications, the Top 10 Best Comedy Lines From Classic Films according to TCM, and the Top 10 Greatest American Movie Quotes, according to AFI.
1. "...Bond. James Bond."
2. "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she
walks into mine."
3. "Well, it's not the men in your life that counts, it's the
life in your men."
4. "I'll be back."
5. "Would you be shocked if I put on something more comfortable?"
7. "I could dance with you till the cows come home...On second
thought, I'd rather dance with the cows when you came home."
8. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!"
9. "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to
me? Well, who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to
me? Well, I'm the only one here. Who the f--k do you think you're
10. "Gimme a whiskey, ginger ale on the side. And don't be stingy, baby."
The most common scripted line in all Hollywood productions (it was used at least once 84% of the time)
from the late 30s to the mid 70s, was:
"Let's get outta here!"
Play clip with quote from The Wizard of Oz (1939):